Friday, January 20, 2012

I Am Hamster, Hear Me Roar

I am getting to that point where I'm doing the same things at the same time at work every day! I am stuck on the hamster wheel of life. I was beginning to think I was the only one living life this way until I began close observation of those around me.

My favorite subject to observe is the guy that sits basically catty-corner from me at work. His routine is extremely entertaining to me.

A typical Monday. Test subject arrives at work around 8:48. Reports to his desk, hangs his coat on the back of his chair, and turns on his computer. While his computer starts up, he plays a game on his phone. After he has managed to clock in, he heads to the coffee counter, retrieves a paper towel to blow his nose, much resembling the sound of a foghorn. The time is now approximately 9:10.

He returns to his desk for his breakfast consisting of a 5 hour energy and m&ms. Delicious...

Consumption of this breakfast must be exhausting because from this point until 10:11 he pretends to work while he sleeps. (Didn't he just have a 5 hour energy?) He really has this down to a science. With one hand resting comfortably on his mouse and the other on the keyboard, he bobs in and out of sleep. Truly mastering the foolery, each time he bobs out of sleep he opens one of three windows. Either an email, a research sight or a design project he is working on. My hero... <3

At 10:11, he heads to the bathroom and stays in there for just under an hour. Having no male anatomy I have never followed in to the bathroom so I cannot confirm his activities but I can only assume it is more sleeping.

Once he's done napping in the bathroom, he returns to his desk and hunched over his phone until LUNCH TIME! He always goes out to retrieve his lunch! Then eats at his desk while "working". This charade lasts until 2:00.

At this time every day, he makes a cup of French Vanilla coffee! Quite frankly, I'm not even sure he drinks it because it is followed by more desk sleeping and another hour long trip to the bathroom at 3:00.

Now, at 4:00, one of two things happens. This is either the, "oh crap, I have real work to get done" or the "I haven't done anything all day, why start now". Either working at his desk or, you guessed it, sleeping at his desk!

At 4:57, he hits the bathroom one last time and manages to clock out at 5:00 on the dot every day.

Once I actually saw him falling asleep while clocking out... Who does that?!

My two biggest concerns for his kid... 1. I hope his weekends are more exciting because wow, that's dull.
And 2. How is he still employed???

No comments:

Post a Comment