Monday, January 30, 2012

The Job From Hell: The War on Job Boards

As previously mentioned, the summer of 2010 began by saying goodbye to the internship that provided the most amazing experience of my life. I was completely unemployed and as a recent college graduate who lived for summers, I had no real urgency to move on and find a job.

However, I was newly engaged, eager to move out of my parents house and had student loans fast approaching.

I spent the summer days combing the job boards and the summer nights living life up while I still could.

I tried in vain to make sites like monster and career builder my friend. I would submit my resume to at least 10 postings a day! That being said, I only managed one interview using these generic job boards. AND that interview was for a position that wasn't even open. Just something the company actively recruits for to have a reserve of job candidates on file...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this was going nowhere!

I needed something with a more personable approach. I did the unthinkable... I turned to Craigslist!

SIDE NOTE TO JOB SEEKERS: although Craigslist is crowded with scams, if you have the patience to weed through, this is extremely valuable and worth your time. Aside from the theatre job board I frequent, Craigslist happens to be the only place I've consistently gotten interviews and job offers. My theory is the generally you are emailing someone directly not just getting thrown into some database in the middle of Indonesia.

I digress. Let's just say my fruitless searching was about to take a turn... Little did I know it would inevitably be for the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment